Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pork Chops and Brown Rice


This is a great recipe I came across many years ago when right after my daughter was born. It originated from the Whole Foods for the Whole Family cookbook by La Leche League International. I made some alterations; I never keep garlic salt around so I just use salt and crushed fresh garlic instead. I also omit the green peppers, but this original recipe including them is very good.

4 pork chops
1 c. brown rice
2 1/2 c. boiling water
1/4 t. thyme
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. worcestershire sauce

Optional:
2 tomatoes
1 onion, sliced
1/2 bell pepper, sliced

Soak rice in water for at least 30 minutes. Brown pork chops. Set aside. In same frying pan, add remaining ingredients. Simmer 10 minutes. Pour rice mixture into a greased 9x9" baking dish or leave in skillet, if ovenproof.
Set chops (and optional vegetables) on top. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got somethin' to say to me? Recipes, comments, and big bang quotes are all equally appreciated.