Friday, October 22, 2010

Oops... about butter and salt

Oh, don't worry, I didn't leave anything out of the recipes, but I did forget something when I was baking my own bread yesterday and thought I should let everyone know since I told them not to futz around with the San Francisco Sourdough Bread recipe. Yesterday, I think I forgot to add the butter. At dinner last night the bread got better reviews than ever. Hmm???? I love French Bread and it doesn't have fat in it. I'm trying it again today to make sure.

Salt tends to inhibit yeast growth so it has always been my practice to add it at the end of mixing the sponge, but on a couple of occasions, I forgot to add the salt - too many distractions in the kitchen. It was terrible. To make matters worse it happened on the occasions when I tried adding some whole wheat flour to the recipe. Yuck.  An old High School friend of mine told me I could smoosh it down and say it was Organic Pita; she lives in California.  Ha Ha. Very funny. We ended up making French toast with it, but even that was not a terrific save, perhaps a savory bread pudding would have been better?

Anyway, NEVER forget to add salt to your bread. It's just plain terrible. For those of you who worry about salt intake, move to a hot climate where you sweat a lot and then you can feel justified by having appropriate salt in your diet. Maybe that's why everybody is moving to Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got somethin' to say to me? Recipes, comments, and big bang quotes are all equally appreciated.