Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just Plain Bread

When I'm not traveling, I enjoy making bread. I like bread a lot; I don't like paying for it. What can I say? I'm Scotch at heart, if not full-blooded. My husband used to say that if I were any tighter my butt cheeks would squeak when I walked. Well, actually that wasn't my husband and it wasn't me that was being talked about, but I liked it and so I kinda borrowed it. (Thanks, Thom)

Anyway, bread is expensive and unless you can afford to shop at the Central Market bakery in TEXAS, it's loaded with all kinds of crap. Yes, that's the technical term. Crap. Stabilizers, mold inhibitors and other garbage I wouldn't feed to my dog. I don't have a dog, but that's beside the point.

So... to kick off my new site for sharing all of my cooking and art wisdom (snicker, snicker), I want to share my favorite plain bread recipe.


SAN FRANCISCO SOURDOUGH BREAD


4 3/4 cups bread flour
3 T white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 T active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
2 T coconut oil or softened butter
1 1/2 c sourdough starter
1 extra large egg, beaten
1 T water



DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
Add milk and softened butter or coconut oil.
Stir in starter. (At this point, you can leave this sponge to ferment
further for several hours). Mix in up to 3 3/4 cups flour gradually,
you may need more depending on your climate.
2.Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to
rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
3.Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves.
Place on a greased baking pan. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
4.Brush egg wash (egg mixed with the 1 T water) over tops of loaves.
5.Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or till done.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT PHOTO
    LOOKS DELICIOUS AND I KNOW IT TASTES GREAT, HAVING BEEN ON THE RECEIVING END OF ENJOYING IT.

    WILL LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING POSTED ART WORK.
    E

    ReplyDelete

You got somethin' to say to me? Recipes, comments, and big bang quotes are all equally appreciated.