Saturday, July 27, 2013

Coconut Flour Pancakes

I admit that I haven't tried many recipes using Coconut Flour as a substitute for wheat flour. Overall, my experience with this ingredient is extremely limited, but I've experimented enough to know that I enjoy baked goods made with it as long as I am willing to drastically increase my egg consumption and am anticipating a fully coconut-y flavored experience. Otherwise, I won't even bother. One batch of coconut flour shortbreads left me very flat. I like regular shortbread made with butter and flour. Period.

This recipe makes a nice coconut-flavored pancake which is quite tasty by itself or accompanied by dollop of plain yogurt and apricot jam. I have no doubt that maple syrup would be delicious with them, but I don't keep it in the house anymore. I love maple syrup and think it's a wonderful food; it's just that I love it on sourdough (wheat) pancakes and I'm mostly gluten-free these days, so I don't keep companion foods around that will tempt my resolve.

Additionally, I didn't personally develop this recipe -- a family member did, but since my first-born requested that she not be named I'll say nothing more about it. (Of course, I had to make SOME mention of it; that's just the way I am. She will, no doubt, totally appreciate me being true to myself in this regard.)

Here's her recipe -- exactly as she wrote it down for me:


Coconut Flour Pancakes

1 c. coconut flour
2t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
1 T. sugar

2 c. milk
4-5 eggs

Mix everything up and plop it in the pan.

Note: for non-bakers with little cooking experience. I believe she measures about 1/4 c. of the batter and makes small (3 or 4 inch diameter) pancakes in a skillet. They brown up nicely, much like regular pancakes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

You got somethin' to say to me? Recipes, comments, and big bang quotes are all equally appreciated.