Saturday, December 29, 2012

Making Rice

I know that it should be a simple process, making rice, but according to our Chinese and Cuban friends, Americans just don't know how to make good rice. I grew up in midwestern America and I never noticed that the rice was particularly bad, but I guess it's all a matter of what you are used to. At least that's how it was for me as far as rice was concerned. The worm at the bottom of the pickle barrel knew no better life, until I moved to China.

What kind of rice and does it make a difference?

I think so. For taste I prefer Jasmine rice, but it has a much higher glycemic index than Basmati and since we eat rice a few times a week my family finally got me to switch to Basmati last year. We try to eat Zone appropriate meals, a third of our calories from protein, a third from carbohydrate and a third from fat. I still prefer Jasmine, but we eat Basmati and I will give "precise" directions for both. Just you wait!

First, you have to decide how much rice you want to cook? Have you ever read the directions on a package of rice or out of a standard American cookbook? It's just ridiculous to give measurements in cups for making rice like this, unless it is your goal to use it as wallpaper paste or mortar for bricks. THIS is why Chinese and Cubans think Americans can't make rice.

For four people, I usually make 3 cups of rice (which is a lot), but I save the leftovers for fried rice the next day. (You cannot make decent fried rice with freshly cooked hot rice; it needs to be cold.) So you need to decide how much you want to make and what kind of pan you are going to cook it in. If you want leftovers, make more. If you only want to eat it at one meal, make less. I find making the same amount every time makes my life much easier in the long run since I don't use measuring cups to make rice -- as you are soon to find out -- and you have to sort of get a 'feel' for it.

You don't need special equipment to make good rice, though I had a nice plastic bowl from the dollar store that had holes only in the upper edge of one side for washing and draining rice. If you can find one, you make rice often and it's not too expensive, it's worth having one, but I just wash my rice in the pot now.

Since rice expands and I tend to make more rather than less, I use the bigger of my sauce pans. In any case, you need a pan or pot with a lid; don't worry too much about whether it makes a fabulous seal, but it should fit the pan you are using. I will show you how to make the lid fit better when I am explaining the process.

The most important step for cooking great rice is to wash it, so don't bother buying enriched white rice. You just end up washing whatever nutrients they've sprayed on it down the drain. Now that you've picked your rice, the type and how much you want to make and your pan, put the rice in the pan/pot and fill it with cold water. Run your hand through the rice, swirling the water thoroughly. Carefully pour most of the water out, refill the pot with cold water. Repeat the process until you've washed the rice three times. Since I live in Florida and the tap water here is undrinkable, I rinse it a fourth time with water from our Zero Water pitcher or bottled water. After the final rinse water has been carefully dumped out, push the rice back down into the pot so that it is evenly distributed and flat. Here's where you have to get a feel for it; you use your thumb as a guideline. Place the tip of your thumb just barely touching the top of the rice. For Jasmine rice, pour enough water in the pot to reach the cuticle of your thumb.

For Basmati rice (pictured below) I cover the rice with enough water to reach about a half centimeter above the cuticle of my thumb.


Add salt (to taste - for 3 cups of uncooked rice I add about a teaspoon of salt). Put the pan on the stove and bring the water & rice to a fast boil. When the rice becomes fragrant after it has been boiling, stir constantly for one minute as it continues to boil.



Place the lid on the pot either wrapped in a cloth napkin, tea towel or with a paper towel lining the lid to help better seal the pot and keep the condensing steam from dripping back into the rice. Turn the heat to low.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you use a towel to do this, make sure that it is not hanging down the sides of the pot! Pile the ends up on top of the lid or use paper towel that does not hang down near the element or flame.



For Jasmine rice, leave the pot over low heat for 20 minutes.
For Basmaiti rice, cook 23 minutes over low heat.

The second most important thing in cooking rice - NEVER lift the lid when it's cooking!!! If you must, put a note on it so that no one lifts the lid.

At the end of time (for the rice, not humanity) remove the pot from the heat and allow the rice to rest for at least 5 minutes before lifting the lid. 15 minutes is better according to Alton Brown. Check to make sure the rice is indeed done before calling everyone to dinner. No one enjoys crunchy uncooked rice. If it is still crunchy you can add a little bit of boiling water (maybe about a quarter of a cup) to the pot, return the pot to the low heat and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got somethin' to say to me? Recipes, comments, and big bang quotes are all equally appreciated.