Thursday, November 18, 2010

Decadent Non-Chocolate Dessert

Once in a while you come across a recipe that is incredibly simple, yet awesomely delicious. I rarely make this cake because it has so much fat and sugar in it, yet once a decade or so I pull out the recipe and INDULGE. The last time I made it was night before Hurricane Wilma hit Naples, FL. I figured, what-the-heck, if I die in the hurricane the calories won't count and if I don't and we end up with no electricity for days (as it turned out we didn't), I was gonna need those extra calories. BONUS! 


Apple Torte - Joyce Pleva

Cream together:
1 c. oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs


Mix together:
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t cinnamon


Add the dry ingredients to the creamed oil, sugar and egg mixture. 

Then add:
4 medium apples, peeled and sliced (you want a slightly tart apple that will keep some of its shape during baking - if all you can find are really sweet apples you can toss them in a bit of fresh lemon juice before baking)
1/2 c. nuts

Pour batter into a greased 13x9x2" baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.


(I have successfully cut the sugar down to 3/4 c and the cake is still very yummy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got somethin' to say to me? Recipes, comments, and big bang quotes are all equally appreciated.